Monday, April 28, 2008

Business Presentations

London, UK

Andy Lopata - remember him from his recent interview with me on the radio?

Last night, Andy gave an excellent workshop-style talk on business networking. The event was organised by the Swedish Chamber of Commerce for the UK and held at the offices of SEB in Cannon Street.

Andy explained to the audience about the importance of having the courage to "step out of your comfort zone" and go and actually talk to new people at an event rather than chat to those you already know. He then asked those gathered to try it out for themselves. They did with some amazing results.

For me the most important point raised all evening was this one - what networking group should one join? Whichever one you choose, be patient and don't expect business to come your way before you've built-up strong business relationships.



There's more at Andy's Blog here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeremy,

Nice post.

I've been a member of BNI for 6 years and have built up some amazing contacts and business alliances that have paid for my membership more than 100X over.

Some of my contacts from it has enabled me to get some great sponsorship for one of my upcoming events FitBizChallenge
As well as a number of entries.

You are so right that it takes time and patience, plus being willing to give first before you receive.

Alex
www.alexpoole.tv

Ellee Seymour said...

I shall remember that at a networking event I am planning to go to, I do tend to stick to those I know, it's an excellent idea to make an effort and meet new people instead.

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Alex

Thanks for your kind words. Looks like your doing well. Must try some of those exercises sometime!

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Ellee

But do you know your "open 2's" from you "closed 5's"?