Friday, November 23, 2007

Volunteering with the JCC

London, UK

Last Sunday, over 1000 people took part in a "Mitzvah Day". The event was organised by the JCC (Jewish Community Centre for London). You can read all about the event at the JCC here.

As you'll glean from the JCC website, projects centred around providing aid and assistance to members of the Jewish and other communities. I volunteered to sing with a few others at three residential/nursing homes for the elderly. It was great fun and very rewarding.

Volunteering for the benefit of others in society with charitable organisations, like the JCC, may have been practised by you before. Many of you would have raised money through sponsored walks or marathons. You may have given blood or have simply visited the sick in hospital. Even doing the shopping for an elderly or sick neighbour can and does make a difference.

"Volunteering England" has a great website here where you can learn more. You could join organizations like Rotary or the Lions Clubs International. Alternatively, consider contacting your local church, synagogue or mosque. If you are Jewish, and live in the UK, you could join the Jewish Volunteering Network

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?

Ethics if the Fathers 1:14

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You can sing as well?

well done for your charity efforts and I like the quotation.