Saturday, September 29, 2007

Mash up your Facebook

London, UK

Graham Jones has written another "we a really ought to think about this" post. This time the subject is social media. Just how many of you are on Facebook, You Tube, MySpace? I guess many of you have all three or more. Graham's post is all about who we post to, about or even Poke! He writes.......

At first sight, the fact that you are widely connected in this way may seem a good thing. But research from the University of California hints that this might not be such a good idea after all. It seems that when we are in a group to help us achieve things, by creative thought for instance, we think we are doing well if we are familiar with the group members. If, however, we enter into new, unfamiliar groups, it actually increases our creative behaviours.
I'll explore Facebook in more depth from now on.


Jeremy Jacobs - Corporate Presenter

4 comments:

Crushed said...

I have Youtube, but not the other two.

It's possible I might consider them, if I could maintain anonymity.

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Ooh, I'm sure you can.

Robyn McMaster, PhD said...

The quote is interesting, Jeremy. Since I've been blogging, I've met many new people, so maybe it is pushing me to develop better skills to communicate with others.

Quite frankly too many of these social networking places don't work well for me because my time is limited. Not sure if they explore differences between full time bloggers and folks who may spend part of a day or week on their site.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating Jeremy. Facebook as a topic for communication research.