Thursday, April 24, 2008

Interviewing Celebrities

London, UK

Interviewing celebrities for LSQ TV or the BBC is really no different to interviewing a member of the public. If you're an experienced journalist, tv presenter, a doctor with a great bedside manner or a salesperson, you'll appreciate the importance of asking "open" questions.

They normally commence with "who", "what", "how", "why", "where" and "when". Once you've got the other person talking, you can then dip into "closed" questions (those that provoke a YES or NO answer).

On occasions, I like to ask something like this - "If you had you time again, would you.............." Another favourite of mine is "suppose". Not used so much in everyday parlance but it's a great word to slip in before a question. For example, one could ask this of a celebrity on the red-carpet, "suppose you were on a desert island, who would you most like to be rescued by"? As you'll see in the clip on the post below, I never really had the chance to ask Ashton Kutcher that question. Just as well, wife Demi Moore may have baulked at the answer!



I Keep Six Honest..

I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest...

Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

No comments: