Sunday, January 13, 2008

Margate v Spurs - 35 years on

London, UK

It seems like only yesterday that my father took me to watch Margate play Spurs in front of over 14,000 spectators at Hartsdown Park. The occasion on January 13th, 1973 was Margate's second only venture into the 3rd round proper of the FA Cup.

Dennis Signy's Sunday Express report shows two errors. One was the crowd figure, in the other Margate manager Les Riggs has an extra "B" at the front of his surname! There are more photos and reports of this match at Jeff Trice's excellent Margate FC history site here

Later in 1973, yours truly escaped to north-west London and eventually met up with author, journalist and broadcaster Dennis Signy. At that time, Dennis was editor at the Hendon Times. Nowadays, he's the PR spokesman for Barnet FC and has held a similar position at the Football League

About 6 years ago, I took Dennis to see Margate take on Barnet in the Conference at Hartsdown Park. It was his first time back there since that day in early 1973.










10p for a programme!!

2 comments:

Beaman said...

Before I increased the size of the newspaper I thought that read 'Margate 10 Spurs 6'. I was about to throw in my lot with Wolves and join the Margate brigade. ;)

I remember my first football match with my father. Back in 1988 at Anfield to watch Liverpool play I think, Middlesbrough. (or it could have been Nottingham Forest). 3-0 win to the home team.

Shamelle said...

Interesting blog! Its the first time I came here and I will be coming back for more!

Sham
http://enhancelifethinktank.blogspot.com/